Transaction Speed

The speed of transactions seems to be a hot topic these days with the bitcoin fork drama. Could someone explain or point me to an explanation about how fast transactions propagate on the Tezos network?

I see that Ripple is claiming ~10kHz transaction speeds. https://www.xrpchat.com/topic/4623-how-fast-is-fast/

Tezos is in Alpha right now so no real-world metrics.

If I’m correct - Ripple and it’s currency is not decentralized like other cryptocurrencies, so talking about speed of XRP… it’s very similar as talking about speed of transactions that Visa has.

I understand that Ripple and Dash are backed by private companies and use centralized infrastructure, masternodes, and other mechanisms to speed up transactions. These private companies are subject to direct government oversight and hand slapping. However, there transactions speeds are impressive.

I am curious as to why there is a transaction speed reduction in a decentralized scenario?

Is it due to needing more transaction confirmations in a trustless environment?

Sorry I cannot help you with that, I’m not some guru :worried:
You have already said everything I know on the subject. Actually, I was thinking that you don’t know that so I’ve written my post. But - when you know what you know - than why you take XRP for a comparison? You know that any crypto is still far behind from the number of transactions per second which some centralized ways of transmission of money has. Hopefully will someone else who knows more answer your question.

Also, as chainomatic said, Tezos isn’t yet finished so it’s hard to tell how speedy will it be.