The ghost in the machine, ethics, values and future-proofing

We have a rare opportunity to build an organization from scratch.
Where will tezos be in 300 years? What are our values?
Why does tezos exist?
May I suggest we, as a matter of urgency, co–opt someone like Professor Peter Singer to help with some ideas.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2017/02/16/qa-singer-philosopher-his-craft-and-practicing-it-princeton

1 Like

Someone should hire lil dicky. He’s Jewish and he sings $ave dat money.

Posts can be edited @Tomb

Great article in the current issue of The Economist. It fits with this topic.
http://worldif.economist.com/article/13525/disrupting-trust-business

Posts are editable here

What is that all about? I can’t have fun? :stuck_out_tongue:

Save dat money… like saving the world economy with a counter party free decentralized asset. Plus Jewish people are awesome at banking… really? You don’t get it? Sorry, I’m so embarrassed.

1 Like

We are all new here and free speech is important to me. As newbies we can create memes that become tezos. And these memes can inoculate us against unintended consequences. Peer groups can be very robust.

4 Likes

Successful -

• all community members are important (mixed views provide debate)
  • have a section dedicated to other coins (don’t discriminate - after all, goal is more participants, tech will sell itself)
  • be critical, ask questions (I was one of the many community members that pushed for the xrp lock up - price skyrocketed)
  • don’t try to turn this into a dick size contest. Newbies are just as important as coders. Developers don’t translate the message to the less informed as well as those you taught. Devs = teach
  • keep people logged on (chat box would be nice to avoid my random thoughts :wink: above ^
3 Likes

I’m hoping for a free exchange about everything, philosophy should always be shaken not stirred.

4 Likes

“We are from the government and we are here to help”

I would like Tezos to turn this statement on its head: “We are the blockchain and we are here to help”.

I have recently retired from a Fortune500 company that had many government contracts so many of the proposals I tabled at work dealt with government compliance.

Please understand that I’m playing ‘devils advocate’ here and I consider myself a hobbyist game theorist with no formal training whatsoever.

Problem: Government wants ‘back doors’ so they can ascertain owners of certain data streams and the contents of certain files.

Solution: multi-signature transactions with government oversight holding a signature.

Which raises another problem - abuse of oversight. Solution, an oracle (autonomous agent) that records every data request (signed TX) made by government oversight.

That is, .gov must register with the oracle thus providing a ‘paper trail’ of their investigations. Through zero-knowledge proofs users will be aware of .gov ‘snooping’ but won’t know who is being snooped (who,what,where,when,why&how).

Government snooping is recorded yet concealed allowing proper investigation. After some arbitrary period the ‘oracle’ that hid .gov snooping activities generates a report to a citizen advocacy human rights organization that examines the .gov investigation.

Why would a user want a .gov signature on a transaction in the first place?

I can think of many individual use cases but escrow and compliance are two uses.

For example, a transportation company moving hazardous waste needs a chain of custody where material handlers and shipping route are well documented. For insurance purposes, having a government signature sharing access while recording all requests made from that shared access reduces compliance costs and risks.

If that doesn’t help make a point I’ll try to say it another way:

Tezos should strive to create tools useful to existing government compliance while keeping them honest and accountable to their citizens. We can help government be better.

5 Likes

"A strong case for a simple idea - that each of us has a tremendous opportunity to help others with our abilities, time, and money."
Bill and Melinda Gates

1 Like

Re: government snooping

I teach blockchain to my kids because they are the ones who will have to live with the consequences more than I. But it’s not the blockchain that I’m worried about actually it is AI. AI without blockchain is like a car without gas, or a rocket without guidance it just depends.

With Zero-Knowledge Proofs investigations will occur without anyone knowing who is being investigated except maybe for the perpetrator if they happen to be listening to the ‘police scanner’. Upon escalation of investigation is where humans become involved upon delivery of some evidence for prosecution of some crime - at least for starters.

On a more positive note - perhaps with blockchain the world might finally realize the power of children, ‘kid power!’.