Tezos Baking Hardware?

Hi bakers, what are your baking hardware recommendations? I’m in the process of setting up a baker at home and I would love to get to hear everyone’s recommendations.

I saw that maxtez-raspbaker has awesome guides on how to set everything up on a raspberry pi. I really like that. But I want to build a small computer that has 16 GB RAM so that it’s future proof.

Looking forward to your thoughts and recommendations. Thank you very much in advance!

pretty much any mini PC will do the job, just a matter of taste and $$.
-NUC
-Logic Supply CL100
-UDOO BOLT (not yet released)
-etc etc

wow! a reply by maxtez himself! I highly appreciate it. The amount of info you have put out there is amazing. Work for Tezos!
I am looking into the choices you posted.
Do you have a particular external SSD that you would recommend? I figure it would be easier for backup purposes / to quickly replace a drive if I use something external rather than a lot of storage inside of the Mini PC.
Baking is really exciting! I’m even more enthusiastic about it than mining back in the day and that has always been a passion

Yes - I’m using an external SSD for my baking. Never had a single issue with the following ones. They’re super fast and protected against external influences. Hope you like it as much as I do. Happy baking!

I am just a random dude sharing the adventure of running Tezos on RPI3.
External data storage seems a good idea even for nodes running on PC with variable amount of ram, it releases some r/w pressure on the the internal HD. Depending whether your external port is USB 2 or 3, a SSD could be worth the extra cost.
The one posted by @sunbaker looks pretty cool
…and I like the greetings: Happy Baking!

Thank you guys. Happy baking!~

I’ve been using this for a year with no problems. Ive got a 250g SSD card and a 64g micro SD.
UDOO have a new one coming out soon as mentioned above. The UDOO Bolt is state of the art and available soon.

See Community forum

Cool! Thanks for posting.
And now we have a sunbaker and a moonbaker in the thread!! :kissing_heart:

is a raspberry still OK? will it be enough a year from now? A friend of mine mentioned there are various rbpi style devices available on the market today, do you have something to reccommend? Max what exactly do u use for ur baking? :))) I had a raspberry pi a few years back and I always loved those kinda small computers. I really wanna hack around with hardware again and an rpi seems like the most grassroots feeling I could get
Thanks brother

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/boards-kits/nuc/kits.html?Internal+Drive+Form+Factor=7002 (and any variations).

• SSD / 500GB
  • Ram 8GB

what are you waiting for, go for it :slight_smile:
Nobody knows what will happen in a year but for now Tezos and RPI3 are working well together. I am rather optimistic for the future though, for various reasons Arthur recognized that data collection (/context folder) needs to be optimized. It is nothing but good news for Tezos nodes on RPI3.
With ~$100 you have a fully fledged RPI3 B or B+ Tezos machine with power supply, internal SD card, keyboard, mouse, sata/usb adapter and external HD. You only need to add the cost of a monitor.

and if you have an old RPI, for example a PI2 B (1GB ram), maybe the cpu is a bit slow but still
worth a test run…

and there are pleny of things that should be explored and improved

• getting a touch screen for example. I am also intrigued by the idea of having an e-ink display,
    refresh rate is ridiculously slow but who cares once the node is up and running
  • someone on tezos gitlab (issues) is trying to make Alpine linux working with Tezos on RPI3
  • scripts to automatically manage the restart of the node and the daemons are still needed
  • improve the optimization of the kernel parameters and the config.json file.
  • and I like the idea of having micro-delegate services, all is needed is ~2000 xtz and some ingenuity. RPI3 is perfect for the job!

[edit] …I forgot about this excellent wiki on using systemd to restart the node and the daemons:

it should work ‘as is’ with a ledger on RPI3. Without ledger instead one can run the tezos-signer and input the pswd only once at start, then, if needed, restart the node and the baker/endorser daemons without worrying about the pswd anymore.

awesome, thanks. very informative :v:

thanks. one question, are the fans of it loud?

The fans on the Raspberry Pi? It doesn’t need fans, just some heatsinks, which are very quiet!

I believe he replied to @SemElVik who was talking about the Intel NUC

ah you’re right, not used to the format of this forum just yet, didn’t see the reply, apologies!