Step by step setup of a Raspberry Pi 3 with Fedora linux-OS and Tezos

I put the insructions into a wiki.

@demo
THANKS!
you literally read my mind, I was about to ask if you were still up for the task. This is great. Lot of stuff can be added, and hopefully it will become the place to go for running Tezos on RPI3

update: I added few things and rearranged the home page, feel free to add/move/change anything you like.
I just have one request. would be possible to move the whole package from demodun/tezoswiki to demodun/tezosRPI3 since you created it already and it is empty. Or alternatively to somewhere new like demodun/tezos-RPI3 ?

FYI… The google drive link to the RPi3 image does not exist. I assume this is the same image you originally uploaded? I’m re-setting up my RPi3 today :slight_smile:

@glebowski
I just checked, the image file is still there and it can be downloaded, maybe it was a typo? that was scary, it took me forever to upload that huge file!
Are you having problems with Fedora/linux? is the system corrupted? Unless it is not working anymore, there is no need to re-install the image of the whole system to run Tezos on the zeronet.

All is needed is to use wget to grab from dropbox 2 new files (1) tz-zero032618.zip and (2) tz-switch.sh, then change the access rule (chmod 764 tz-switch.sh) and run the new script ./tz-switch.sh. Next, give an identity to the node on the zeronet network with the script you already have (./tz-init.sh), and the RPI3 is ready to go on the zeronet with the usual command ./tz-start.sh. It should not take more than 1/2 hr to put your RPI3 back at work.
There are still few nodes on the zeronet, it would be cool to see many RPI3s running the show.

The google drive link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18uPhwxTQEebZZFP2nJmt1mmgqBdUOgiF17

in the Wiki is not correct

https://github.com/demodun/tezoswiki/wiki/[b]-1)-Download-an-image-file,-2)-write-it-on-a-SD-card-and-3)-run-a-Tezos-node-on-the-alphanet

It’s been a few weeks since I could play around with my RPi3 Tezos node. It wasn’t showing up on Tzscan.io so not sure what was the issue. I decided to start from scratch as this helps reinforce what I am doing. Although I can’t manage to burn the image to amicro sd card for some reason now. I’ll figure it out. Thanks for doing all the hard work first.

you were right, the link was incorrect (the last 2 digits “17” should be deleted), I just put the wiki pages up today without checking the links, it is fixed now, but I see other links have also extra numbers at the end. Please for the time being use the links from the posts here on the tezos.community site.

Well, the alphanet has been down for a while, I think still it is. Maybe before re-installing everything try to see if you can get on the zeronet just by downloading the 2 additional files, it should not take too much time.

I think my 2 16 gb micro sd cards are hosed. I can’t get them to work whatsoever. I tried everything. I broke down and bought a 5 pack.

sorry to hear that, it is strange that both cards died at the same time.
Is the old one used on the RPI3 not working as well? I mean if you put it back on the RPI3 doesn’t boot at all?
It could be a problem with the SD adapter, there is a tiny switch on the side to enable/disable write protection

I have multiple usb adpaters I tested them both with. Neither cards boot at all. I hope its not the RPi3. I’ll puzzle it out.

@glebowski
ok, if the old card doesn’t work on the RPI3 anymore and both of them cannot be even formatted then there is something wrong with the cards.
I was hoping to see your RPI3 node on the zeronet this weekend…

There’s still a chance. Amazon delivers on Sunday :slight_smile:

@glebowski
if you manage to pull it off that would be something, considering Easter and Sunday…
Skip the alphanet part, just write the image on the sparkling new sd card, expand the OS with “resize.sh” and then jump straight into the zeronet instructions (wget two files, change permission of tz-switch.sh with chmod and run the script) and you a ready to go -> tz-init.sh and tz-start.sh

here you are

:smiley:

Notes on installing multiple operating systems in external USB disk for Raspberry PI 2.

• Boot Manager: noobs lite
  • All / boot partitions enter fat32 on the SD card.
  • noobs call the boot firmware, but the firmware does not support booting from USB.
  • The cmdline.txt need to change in order to find their root partition.
  • Ext4 root partitions of the operating systems should be sda.
  • The SETTINGS partition of noobs must be mmcblk0p5. There we set up the list of the operating systems in the file installed_os.json
  • Linux-firmware-raspi2 on 18.04 puts in / boot / firmware a firmware version that does not boot, Need something else.

Also instead of noobs lite, you may use berryboot

@demo
thanks the transition to demodun/tezos-RPI3 is complete, it is the first real home for Tezos and RPI3 aficionados!
BerryBoot is cool, did not know that, from the web page info it seems that it also works with RPI3 not just RPI2