Step by step setup of a Raspberry Pi 3 with Fedora linux-OS and Tezos

Very cool script @demo! Clean, simple. I also use it now
mypid=ps -x|grep tezos|grep -v grep|cut -f2 -d" " ==> quite clever
and I can just check the logs under /home/mootjes/tezos/mylogs

Still not fully synced since I always had to manually restart. hopefully not anymore with your script. I’m at block 2018-01-13T13:37:20Z

I haven’t used the script yet, but I will soon (thanks @demo), I am running out of options to setup a long term running node.
@Mootjes007 are you still running the node on a laptop? if yes, any chance to make a comparison in terms of performance and resources (ram memory, open files) used by the laptop and the RPI3?
I would still suggest to increase the max number of open files for a single application, at least 3000 or 4000, in this way we can run the node longer before restarting.

What I am experiencing recently (in the last 5-6 days) is something new at least for me. I see normal activity (syncing) for 5-6 hrs then nothing, no apparent activity at all, but if I restart the node it begins syncing again immediately. I am thinking of recompiling tezos with the newest version (and also “lwt.3.2.0”).

I don’t know if you have played with the configuration file “config.json” in /home/<user>/.tezos-node
There are a lot of options, some I don’t fully understand what they do, one that seems to have some effect on the inactivity after 5-6 hrs is "authentification-timeout": 30, I think the default value is 5.
A description of some of the options for the “config.json” file can be found by typing:
./tezos-node config --help
In case is needed, here is an example of a “config.json” file:

{
  "rpc": {
"listen-addr": "localhost:8732",
"cors-headers": [
  "content-type"
],
   "cors-origin": [
  "*"
]
  },
  "net": {
"bootstrap-peers": [
  "bootstrap.tezos.com",
  "localhost:7732"
 ],
"listen-addr": "localhost:9732",
"limits": {
  "authentification-timeout": 30,
  "max-connections": 1000,
  "expected-connections": 500,
  "max-incoming-connections": 200,
  "backlog": 20,
  "read-buffer-size":16384,
  "read-queue-size":8192,
  "write-queue-size":8192,
  "swap-linger":20,
      "max_known_points": [
      ],
      "max_known_peer_ids": [
      ]
    }
 }
}

Anyone knows how we can vote in the testnet?

@demo, testnet, you mean the private development team network?
In general if you want to setup a voting process I imagine you create a smart contract acting like a ballot, but I have absolutely no knowledge on the topic, the new tezos doc may help you: http://doc.tzalpha.net/

@maxtez-raspbaker - I started this weekend to run a node via docker on an old laptop (11,5 inch, crappy hardware). It definitely syncs quicker but still quite slow. Docker shouldn’t have a significant impact on performance. When running ‘top’, I often had tezos consuming > 50% CPU. For the moment it’s down to 1.7%, let’s see how it evolves…

On the RP3, it stopped syncing, even with the script of @demo. Even at less than 1024 processes, it gave an error of too many files open. I’m starting to think RP3 is just too slow for Tezos…

I am asking about voting for the protocol.
This is one of the core features of tezos.
Can this be done in the alphanet?
Can we vote for an amendment (for testing purposes) ?

@demo, I did not hear of any attempt to setup a vote test on the alphanet, I am not sure if a procedure has been established yet. I cannot imagine someone in the network wake up one day and decide to ask to vote on something just like that. Perhaps you may want to contact fredcy or tezzigator, they have far better understanding and experience on the overall tezos system.
If you find out how it works, please share, I am curious too.

@Mootjes007 the comparison with a laptop even if a old one, is quite useful. I am reasonably confident that
the CPU speed is not a limitation of the RPI3. I never seen it going up more than 75-85% even with a ridiculosly high number of open files (>7000) and extensive swap work.

The default max open files in the RPI3 (~1000) should be increased (3000-4000 at least). In my setup I have
~800 files opened by background apps without even running the tezos-node. As soon as the tezos-node is launched, the 1000 files threashold is reached in a matter of mins.
It is perfectly acceptable to fit the OS configuration to the needs of the main application, that’s why linux is good!

I have been fully synced now for few days, it is quite stable so far (connection timeout from time to time but nothing dramatic), although no baking yet (another potential source of trouble, as I recall from the earlier test runs last month).
But the main concern I have at the moment is the number of files/sockets/ports that keep increasing over time
and another issue is that after a while active connections become more sporadic. I think/hope that tuning the parameters in the “config.json” file will do the trick, but I haven’t figure it out yet.

I am wondering if in your laptop do you see an increase of the number of open files (and RAM memory
usage) over time. And also have you noticed a drop in the number of active connections with time (syncing gets slower and slower). Btw what is the max open files in your laptop?

So I am asking @tezzigator and @fredcy to give us some hints regarding the amendment procedure.
Is it implemented in the alphanet?
Can we test it and how?

Sorry, I know little about that. I have not seen any docs or discussion from the core team about that. I hope testing of that starts soon – it’s essential to Tezos.

ok…I ll try to read the code and find out whats happening regarding the amendments feature of Tezos.

Ok . As I can see here:

The supermajority is defined to be 80%
Accoring to the community vote :

this number is wrong…

So this is the first ammendment we should ask to be voted, for testing puproses, in our alphanet.

Instructions about the way amendments are proposed can be found here :

We need to ask some testtezos from the faucet, and vote for the amendent.

Thanks for the info, @demo - impressive you found it!
I suspect it’s a temporary value they will adjust before go live. On the other hand, I read the foundation (or TLS?) has 1 (?) year where they can push updates without voting. Maybe they want stability in the first year without any (major) community updates, and after that year, lower the percentage significantly.

But you’re right: smart contracting has been extensively tested but AFAIK no voting + protocol updates have been tested in testnet whatsoever.

I hope the develpment team to start testing these features too, and let us participate in the testnet.

@demo Exactly - furthermore very interested how it will work.
PS: I copied block data from other node to RP3 to speed things up.

Eg from docker to local drive
cp tezos-alphanet:/var/run/tezos/node ./

Via ssh to other node:
scp context/* mootjes@192.168.0.12:~/node

(cfr also doc Fredcy: https://github.com/tezoscommunity/faq/wiki/How-to-build-an-alphanet-node-quickly)

Very very interested!
I bought a RP3 and I installed the tezos node for this very feature.

But in order to be able to vote, I need one Tezos. I still cannot find a way to buy one.
I own some PIVX and some Dash, and I hope some would like to exchange them for 1 Tezos.

real tezzies haven’t been released yet, if the voting system is implemented in the alphanet you or anyone else should be able to use it. Have you checked with the TBF if anyone is working on a voting project?

Hey @demo - as soon as it hits the exchanges (where I have an account, e.g. Bittrex/kucoin), I’ll send you 1 or more Tez to play around with!

I entered trello, but I am unfamiliar with its enviroment. I will read about it, and try to understand it.

Thanks a lot !
I have already a Dash address and a PIVX address. I am looking forward to opening a Tezos address too, whenever tezos will be available.

In the meantime, lets discover in the Tezos alphanet the functionalities related to governance. The governance feature of the cryptocurrencies and the related technologies motivates me a lot. Tezos is one step beyond of course from any other governed crypto, because , as far as I understand it, Tezos will support conditional voting too.:+1:

Here is an example of a conditional vote. I hope that Tezos will implement something like this.