Step by step setup of a Raspberry Pi 3 with Fedora linux-OS and Tezos

@demo, yes I see what you mean…it is like a puzzle…
perhaps if you can tell me which package is more trouble I can help…or send me your current list…
in the meantime to decide which package to remove first, you can check the dependencies here: https://opam.ocaml.org/packages/
then if you need a newer version of a package I would suggest to use opam upgrade instead of opam install and if you need to install a lower version let make build-deps decide how to proceed with the dependencies.
The first time I managed to get it done it took me a while, same as you (probably even more)…

Here is my new error list, and I think this is a Tezos error, and not opam error.

make
      ocamlc src/micheline/micheline.{cmi,cmti}
      ocamlc src/node/db/context.{cmi,cmti}
      ocamlc src/node/net/RPC_server.{cmi,cmti}
      ocamlc src/node/db/store_sigs.{cmi,cmo,cmt}
      ocamlc src/node/net/p2p_types.{cmi,cmti}
      ocamlc src/utils/crypto_box.{cmo,cmt}
      ocamlc src/utils/lwt_dropbox.{cmo,cmt} (exit 2)
(cd _build/default && /home/tz/.opam/tezos/bin/ocamlc.opt -w @a-4-29-40-41-42-44-45-48-58-59-60-40 -strict-sequence -strict-formats -short-paths -keep-locs -w -9+27-30-32-40@8 -safe-string -g -bin-annot -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/base64 -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/bytes -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/calendar -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/cstruct -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ctypes -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ezjsonm -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/hex -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/integers -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ipaddr -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ipaddr/unix -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/jsonm -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/lwt -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/mtime -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/mtime/os -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/nocrypto -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ocaml -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ocaml/threads -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ocplib-endian -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ocplib-json-typed -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ocplib-resto -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/ocplib-resto/directory -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/re -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/result -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/sexplib -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/sexplib/0 -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/sodium -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/stringext -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/uchar -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/uri -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/uutf -I /home/tz/.opam/tezos/lib/zarith -I src/minutils -no-alias-deps -I src/utils -o src/utils/lwt_dropbox.cmo -c -impl src/utils/lwt_dropbox.ml)
File "src/utils/lwt_dropbox.ml", line 54, characters 23-44:
Warning 3: deprecated: Lwt.waiter_of_wakener
 This function should be avoided, because it makes subtyping of resolvers
 unsound. See
  https://github.com/ocsigen/lwt/issues/458
File "src/utils/lwt_dropbox.ml", line 1:
Error: Some fatal warnings were triggered (1 occurrences)

Waiting for 2 jobs to finish.
make: *** [Makefile:5: all] Error 1

my opam list follows

opam list
# Installed packages for tezos:
astring                         0.8.3  Alternative String module for OCaml
base                          v0.10.0  Full standard library replacement for OCaml
base-bigarray                    base  Bigarray library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base-bytes                       base  Bytes library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base-num                         base  Num library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base-threads                     base  Threads library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base-unix                        base  Unix library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base64                          2.2.0  Base64 encoding for OCaml
bisect_ppx                      1.3.2  Code coverage for OCaml
calendar                       2.03.2  Library for handling dates and times in your program
cmdliner                        1.0.2  Declarative definition of command line interfaces for OCaml
cohttp                         0.99.0  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and servers
cohttp-lwt                     0.99.0  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and servers
cohttp-lwt-unix                0.99.0  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and servers
conduit                         1.0.0  Network conduit library
conduit-lwt                     1.0.0  Network conduit library
conduit-lwt-unix                1.0.2  Network conduit library
conf-gmp                            1  Virtual package relying on a GMP lib system installation.
conf-leveldb                        1  Virtual package relying on a LevelDB lib system installation.
conf-libev                       4-11  High-performance event loop/event model with lots of features
conf-m4                             1  Virtual package relying on m4
conf-openssl                        1  Virtual package relying on an OpenSSL system installation.
conf-perl                           1  Virtual package relying on perl
conf-pkg-config                   1.0  Virtual package relying on pkg-config installation.
conf-which                          1  Virtual package relying on which
cppo                            1.6.0  Equivalent of the C preprocessor for OCaml programs
cppo_ocamlbuild                 1.6.0  ocamlbuild support for cppo, OCaml-friendly source preprocessor
cpuid                           0.1.1  Detect CPU features
crunch                          2.1.0  Convert a filesystem into a static OCaml module
cstruct                         3.2.1  Access C-like structures directly from OCaml
cstruct-lwt                     3.2.1  Access C-like structures directly from OCaml
ctypes                         0.13.1  Combinators for binding to C libraries without writing any C.
decompress                        0.7  Pure OCaml implementation of Zlib
depext                          1.0.5  Query and install external dependencies of OPAM packages
dispatch                        0.4.0  Path-based dispatching for client- and server-side applications.
ezjsonm                         0.5.0  An easy interface on top of the Jsonm library
fieldslib                     v0.10.0  Syntax extension to define first class values representing record fields, to get and set record fields, iterate and fold
fmt                             0.8.5  OCaml Format pretty-printer combinators
git                            1.11.3  Git format and protocol in pure OCaml
git-http                       1.11.2  Client implementation of the "Smart" HTTP Git protocol in pure OCaml
git-unix                       1.11.2  Unix backend for the Git protocol(s)
hex                             1.2.0  Minimal library providing hexadecimal converters.
integers                        0.2.2  Various signed and unsigned integer types for OCaml
ipaddr                          2.8.0  IP (and MAC) address manipulation
irmin                           1.3.2  Irmin, a distributed database that follows the same design principles as Git
irmin-fs                        1.3.0  Generic file-system backend for Irmin
irmin-git                       1.3.0  Git backend for Irmin
irmin-http                      1.3.1  HTTP client and server for Irmin
irmin-mem                       1.3.0  In-memory backend for Irmin
irmin-unix                      1.3.0  Unix backends for Irmin
irmin-watcher                   0.3.0  Portable Irmin watch backends using FSevents or Inotify
jbuilder                   1.0+beta16  Fast, portable and opinionated build system
jsonm                           1.0.1  Non-blocking streaming JSON codec for OCaml
kaputt                            1.2  Testing tool
leveldb                         1.1.2  OCaml bindings for Google's LevelDB library.
logs                            0.6.2  Logging infrastructure for OCaml
lwt                             3.2.0  Promises, concurrency, and parallelized I/O
lwt_ssl                         1.1.1  Lwt-friendly OpenSSL bindings
magic-mime                      1.1.0  Map filenames to common MIME types
menhir                       20171222  LR(1) parser generator
mirage-no-solo5                     1  Virtual package conflicting with mirage-solo5
mirage-no-xen                       1  Virtual package conflicting with mirage-xen
mstruct                         1.4.0  A mutable interface to Cstruct buffers
mtime                           1.1.0  Monotonic wall-clock time for OCaml
nocrypto                        0.5.4  Simpler crypto
num                                 0  The Num library for arbitrary-precision integer and rational arithmetic
ocaml-compiler-libs           v0.10.0  OCaml compiler libraries repackaged
ocaml-migrate-parsetree         1.0.7  Convert OCaml parsetrees between different versions
ocamlbuild                     0.12.0  OCamlbuild is a build system with builtin rules to easily build most OCaml projects.
ocamlfind                     1.7.3-1  A library manager for OCaml
ocamlgraph                      1.8.8  A generic graph library for OCaml
ocb-stubblr                     0.1.1  OCamlbuild plugin for C stubs
ocp-build                1.99.20-beta  Project builder for OCaml
ocp-ocamlres                      dev (pinned)  Manipulation, injection and extraction of embedded resources
ocplib-endian                     1.0  Optimised functions to read and write int16/32/64 from strings and bigarrays, based on new primitives added in version 4.
ocplib-json-typed                 0.5 (pinned)  Type-aware JSON and JSON schema utilities
ocplib-resto                      dev (pinned)  Minimal OCaml library for type-safe HTTP/JSON RPCs.
omake                          0.10.3  Build system designed for scalability and portability
pprint                       20171003  A pretty-printing combinator library and rendering engine.
ppx_ast                       v0.10.0  OCaml AST used by Jane Street ppx rewriters
ppx_core                      v0.10.0  Standard library for ppx rewriters
ppx_derivers                      1.0  Shared [@@deriving] plugin registry
ppx_deriving                    4.2.1  Type-driven code generation for OCaml >=4.02
ppx_driver                    v0.10.1  Feature-full driver for OCaml AST transformers
ppx_fields_conv               v0.10.0  Generation of accessor and iteration functions for ocaml records
ppx_metaquot                  v0.10.0  Write OCaml AST fragment using OCaml syntax
ppx_optcomp                   v0.10.0  Optional compilation for OCaml
ppx_sexp_conv                 v0.10.0  Generation of S-expression conversion functions from type definitions
ppx_tools                         5.0  Tools for authors of ppx rewriters and other syntactic tools
ppx_tools_versioned             5.0.1  A variant of ppx_tools based on ocaml-migrate-parsetree
ppx_traverse_builtins         v0.10.0  Builtins for Ppx_traverse
ppx_type_conv                 v0.10.0  Support Library for type-driven code generators
re                              1.7.1  RE is a regular expression library for OCaml
react                           1.2.1  Declarative events and signals for OCaml
reactiveData                    0.2.1  Functional reactive programming with incremental changes in data structures
result                            1.2  Compatibility Result module
sexplib                       v0.10.0  Library for serializing OCaml values to and from S-expressions
sodium                            dev (pinned)  Binding to libsodium UNAUDITED
ssl                             0.5.5  Bindings for OpenSSL
stdio                         v0.10.0  Standard IO library for OCaml
stringext                       1.5.0  Extra string functions for OCaml
topkg                           0.9.1  The transitory OCaml software packager
uchar                           0.0.2  Compatibility library for OCaml's Uchar module
uri                             1.9.5 (pinned)  RFC3986 URI/URL parsing library
uutf                            1.0.1  Non-blocking streaming Unicode codec for OCaml
webmachine                      0.4.0  A REST toolkit for OCaml
zarith                            1.7  Implements arithmetic and logical operations over arbitrary-precision integers

I reported it as an issue in tezos github.
But you have already reported it!
:slight_smile:

And here is the diff from my opam list and yours

1c1
< # Installed packages for tezos: (demo)
---
> # Installed packages for tezos: (Mootjes007)
13,15c13,15
< cohttp                         0.99.0  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and ser
< cohttp-lwt                     0.99.0  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and ser
< cohttp-lwt-unix                0.99.0  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and ser
---
> cohttp                         0.99.0 (pinned)  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and ser
> cohttp-lwt                     0.99.0 (pinned)  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and ser
> cohttp-lwt-unix                0.99.0 (pinned)  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and ser
51c51
< irmin-unix                      1.3.0  Unix backends for Irmin
---
> irmin-unix                      1.3.0 (pinned)  Unix backends for Irmin
59c59
< lwt_ssl                         1.1.1  Lwt-friendly OpenSSL bindings
---
> lwt_ssl                         1.1.2  OpenSSL binding with concurrent I/O
100c100
< ssl                             0.5.5  Bindings for OpenSSL
---
> ssl                             0.5.5 (pinned)  Bindings for OpenSSL

Our only difference is lwt_ssl which is 1.1.2 in your verstion and 1.1.1 in mine.

I am trying to remove 1.1.1 and install 1.1.2 but opam does not allow me.

opam remove lwt_ssl.1.1.1
The following actions will be performed:
  ⊘  remove lwt_ssl 1.1.1

=-=- Processing actions -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
⊘  removed   lwt_ssl.1.1.1
Done.

opam install lwt_ssl.1.1.2
[ERROR] No package matches lwt_ssl.1.1.2.

opam install lwt_ssl.1.1.1
The following actions will be performed:
  ∗  install lwt_ssl 1.1.1

=-=- Gathering sources =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
[lwt_ssl] Archive in cache

=-=- Processing actions -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
∗  installed lwt_ssl.1.1.1

@demo I quickly compared the packages you pinned with my list. These packages, I pinned more than you:

cohttp 0.99.0 (
cohttp-lwt 0.99.0 (
cohttp-lwt-unix 0.99.0 (
irmin-unix 1.3.0 (

ssl 0.5.5 (

SSL I wouldn’t recommend to pin. The irmin-unix, however, I would pin. Good luck!

PS: my node is still looking for connections, but so is the node of my laptop (using docker). I’ll make a separate post on this forum. Had the problem in the past.

@maxtez-raspbaker Any chance of getting an updated link based on all the latest developments? Please disregard if this is too much work or not applicable based on the current situation. Thanks for getting this to going.

The main problem is the bug of tezos.
All this mess is created because the bug is not fixed.

Hi @demo, ok if your current list is the one I see above here, it looks good (not joking!), what I would try first is remove “lwt”:
opam remove lwt
then let “make build-deps” pick what it needs (it should be lwt.3.0.0 or lwt.3.1.0) and eventually recompile other stuff:
eval opam config env
make build-deps

let me know what is the outcome…

If I understand correctly the history of the problem “Warning 3: deprecated: Lwt.waiter_of_wakener”, it became evident with the latest release of “lwt.3.2.0” (Dec/19/2017). The Tezos dev team at some point should eventually revise few things in the code, but I would not be so pushy, they probably have a bigger fish to fry. We have a workaround and the problem does not seem critical to the point of compromising the network but again I am no expert in OCaml

@Mootjes007, if you have absolutely zero connections “Too few connections (0)” after several hours, I would kill the “tezos-node” process then delete everything in the folders “.tezos-node/store” and “.tezos-node/context” and restart “tezos-node”. There is probably a better/safer/more elegant way around it but this extreme measure usually works!

@glebowski, yes I am planning to revise the notes, we made some progress on the compilation front, but before making an update file, I’d like to have a better understanding of what is going on running a node. I hope with more people “playing” with RPI3s we can solve certain issues (number of open files, managing the ram memory, effect of the parameters in the configuration file, etc). In the meantime hopefully some useful info may be found in this thread.

It Compiled! :trophy::trophy::trophy:
My opam list for everyone interested.

# Installed packages for tezos:
astring                         0.8.3  Alternative String module for OCaml
base                          v0.10.0  Full standard library replacement for OCaml
base-bigarray                    base  Bigarray library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base-bytes                       base  Bytes library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base-num                         base  Num library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base-threads                     base  Threads library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base-unix                        base  Unix library distributed with the OCaml compiler
base64                          2.2.0  Base64 encoding for OCaml
bisect_ppx                      1.3.2  Code coverage for OCaml
calendar                       2.03.2  Library for handling dates and times in your program
cmdliner                        1.0.2  Declarative definition of command line interfaces for OCaml
cohttp                         0.99.0 (pinned)  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and servers
cohttp-lwt                     0.99.0 (pinned)  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and servers
cohttp-lwt-unix                0.99.0  An OCaml library for HTTP clients and servers
conduit                         1.0.0  Network conduit library
conduit-lwt                     1.0.0  Network conduit library
conduit-lwt-unix                1.0.2  Network conduit library
conf-gmp                            1  Virtual package relying on a GMP lib system installation.
conf-leveldb                        1  Virtual package relying on a LevelDB lib system installation.
conf-libev                       4-11  High-performance event loop/event model with lots of features
conf-m4                             1  Virtual package relying on m4
conf-openssl                        1  Virtual package relying on an OpenSSL system installation.
conf-perl                           1  Virtual package relying on perl
conf-pkg-config                   1.0  Virtual package relying on pkg-config installation.
conf-which                          1  Virtual package relying on which
cppo                            1.6.0  Equivalent of the C preprocessor for OCaml programs
cppo_ocamlbuild                 1.6.0  ocamlbuild support for cppo, OCaml-friendly source preprocessor
cpuid                           0.1.1  Detect CPU features
crunch                          2.1.0  Convert a filesystem into a static OCaml module
cstruct                         3.2.1  Access C-like structures directly from OCaml
cstruct-lwt                     3.2.1  Access C-like structures directly from OCaml
ctypes                         0.13.1  Combinators for binding to C libraries without writing any C.
decompress                        0.7  Pure OCaml implementation of Zlib
depext                          1.0.5  Query and install external dependencies of OPAM packages
dispatch                        0.4.0  Path-based dispatching for client- and server-side applications.
ezjsonm                         0.5.0  An easy interface on top of the Jsonm library
fieldslib                     v0.10.0  Syntax extension to define first class values representing recor
fmt                             0.8.5  OCaml Format pretty-printer combinators
git                            1.11.3  Git format and protocol in pure OCaml
git-http                       1.11.2  Client implementation of the "Smart" HTTP Git protocol in pure O
git-unix                       1.11.2  Unix backend for the Git protocol(s)
hex                             1.2.0  Minimal library providing hexadecimal converters.
integers                        0.2.2  Various signed and unsigned integer types for OCaml
ipaddr                          2.8.0  IP (and MAC) address manipulation
irmin                           1.3.2  Irmin, a distributed database that follows the same design princ
irmin-fs                        1.3.0  Generic file-system backend for Irmin
irmin-git                       1.3.0  Git backend for Irmin
irmin-http                      1.3.1  HTTP client and server for Irmin
irmin-mem                       1.3.0  In-memory backend for Irmin
irmin-unix                      1.3.0  Unix backends for Irmin
irmin-watcher                   0.3.0  Portable Irmin watch backends using FSevents or Inotify
jbuilder                   1.0+beta16  Fast, portable and opinionated build system
jsonm                           1.0.1  Non-blocking streaming JSON codec for OCaml
kaputt                            1.2  Testing tool
leveldb                         1.1.2  OCaml bindings for Google's LevelDB library.
logs                            0.6.2  Logging infrastructure for OCaml
lwt                             3.1.0 (pinned)  Promises, concurrency, and parallelized I/O
lwt_ssl                         1.1.1  Lwt-friendly OpenSSL bindings
magic-mime                      1.1.0  Map filenames to common MIME types
menhir                       20171222  LR(1) parser generator
mirage-no-solo5                     1  Virtual package conflicting with mirage-solo5
mirage-no-xen                       1  Virtual package conflicting with mirage-xen
mstruct                         1.4.0  A mutable interface to Cstruct buffers
mtime                           1.1.0  Monotonic wall-clock time for OCaml
nocrypto                        0.5.4  Simpler crypto
num                                 0  The Num library for arbitrary-precision integer and rational ari
ocaml-compiler-libs           v0.10.0  OCaml compiler libraries repackaged
ocaml-migrate-parsetree         1.0.7  Convert OCaml parsetrees between different versions
ocamlbuild                     0.12.0  OCamlbuild is a build system with builtin rules to easily build
ocamlfind                     1.7.3-1  A library manager for OCaml
ocamlgraph                      1.8.8  A generic graph library for OCaml
ocb-stubblr                     0.1.1  OCamlbuild plugin for C stubs
ocp-build                1.99.18-beta  Project manager for OCaml
ocp-ocamlres                      dev (pinned)  Manipulation, injection and extraction of embedded reso                                                         urces
ocplib-endian                     1.0  Optimised functions to read and write int16/32/64 from strings a
ocplib-json-typed                 0.5 (pinned)  Type-aware JSON and JSON schema utilities
ocplib-resto                      dev (pinned)  Minimal OCaml library for type-safe HTTP/JSON RPCs.
omake                          0.10.3  Build system designed for scalability and portability
pprint                       20171003  A pretty-printing combinator library and rendering engine.
ppx_ast                       v0.10.0  OCaml AST used by Jane Street ppx rewriters
ppx_core                      v0.10.0  Standard library for ppx rewriters
ppx_derivers                      1.0  Shared [@@deriving] plugin registry
ppx_deriving                    4.2.1  Type-driven code generation for OCaml >=4.02
ppx_driver                    v0.10.1  Feature-full driver for OCaml AST transformers
ppx_fields_conv               v0.10.0  Generation of accessor and iteration functions for ocaml records
ppx_metaquot                  v0.10.0  Write OCaml AST fragment using OCaml syntax
ppx_optcomp                   v0.10.0  Optional compilation for OCaml
ppx_sexp_conv                 v0.10.0  Generation of S-expression conversion functions from type defini
ppx_tools                         5.0  Tools for authors of ppx rewriters and other syntactic tools
ppx_tools_versioned             5.0.1  A variant of ppx_tools based on ocaml-migrate-parsetree
ppx_traverse_builtins         v0.10.0  Builtins for Ppx_traverse
ppx_type_conv                 v0.10.0  Support Library for type-driven code generators
re                              1.7.1  RE is a regular expression library for OCaml
react                           1.2.1  Declarative events and signals for OCaml
reactiveData                    0.2.1  Functional reactive programming with incremental changes in data
result                            1.2  Compatibility Result module
sexplib                       v0.10.0  Library for serializing OCaml values to and from S-expressions
sodium                            dev (pinned)  Binding to libsodium UNAUDITED
ssl                             0.5.5 (pinned)  Bindings for OpenSSL
stdio                         v0.10.0  Standard IO library for OCaml
stringext                       1.5.0  Extra string functions for OCaml
topkg                           0.9.1  The transitory OCaml software packager
typerex-build            1.99.17-beta  Project manager for OCaml
uchar                           0.0.2  Compatibility library for OCaml's Uchar module
uri                             1.9.5 (pinned)  RFC3986 URI/URL parsing library
uutf                            1.0.1  Non-blocking streaming Unicode codec for OCaml
webmachine                      0.4.0  A REST toolkit for OCaml
zarith                            1.7  Implements arithmetic and logical operations over arbitrary-prec

@demo this is excellent news!

Big step forward, now you can start having real fun playing with the tezos node

@maxtez-raspbaker Thanks for the update. I really feel raspberry pi Tezos nodes are an important part of Tezos decentralization. I noticed NAVcoin has a Pi image that has automatic updates. I actually got that up and running fairly quickly. I’m not that I interested in NAVcoin though. I don’t know the intricate details of security but I think the Tezos Foundation should fund a project to make this super simple for those who understand the importance of decentralization but aren’t comfortable doing this on their own. I don’t think a few centralized delegation servers are the answer for a robust Tezos network. Maybe in the beginning but not long term.

I started my node and it says
"few connections only 1 available"
Is this normal?

Hi @demo, glad to hear you started playing with the RPI3…well, 1 connection is better than 0, seriously it means your node is working, exchanging info on the network.
Check whether files are created or modified over time in the folders /home/<user>/.tezos-node/store and /home/<user>/.tezos-node/context
Have you created an identity, and launched the tezos-client? do you see from time to time a line like this:
<date> - node.validator.net: update current head…
If you type:
lsof -u <user> > <output-file>
and edit the <output-file>, you can also see the peers that established a connection with your RPI3.

@glebowski yes I agree with you on everything, Delegation services are essential but having more options is always better. Running individual nodes and self-delegation should be supported and encouraged, and I think
with the release of the docker version the core Tezos team is pushing in this direction.

What I haven’t seen much is a community effort to share the experience of running a Tezos node with or without docker, the only exception are few complaints/requests on github. To be honest I am not sure why, everything is crystal clear?, no one care?, info should be kept secret?

As for the RPI3 project I still consider it experimental, there are issues that need to be resolved and the
system needs some tuning. More people involved would definitely speed up the process.
My feeling (still a feeling not a fact) is that it would be possible to setup a long-time runnning/permanent
node to stake and bake, maybe not at full speed like with a regular PC. The extent of the limitations and
whether will be worth it, are still some of the (many) open questions.

To make the client software more accessible docker is the easiest solution. Maybe if possible it would be nice to have precompiled versions for different combinations of hardware/OS, like an “exe” for Win machines or RPM package to be installed with dnf or yum on various linux distros.
For RPI3 an image of the whole system (OS+Tezos) could be also an alternative, but it will require a configuration setup afterwards, I don’t think it can be a black box solution like using docker (anyone tried docker on RPI3?).
I am just guessing here but all these alternatives should not take too much time, they could be made available by someone or few people knowing what they are doing. Long term support may require funding from the foundation, but initially maybe it won’t be necessary.

Yes I can see node validator and my connections are 4 now!
What else can I do with my node? Is there a documentation?

@demo yes you can play a bit more, create an account, delegate (to yourself) transfer virtual tezzies to you or others, eventually you’ll end up baking. Some more info here:
github.com/tezos/tezos/tree/alphanet
https://github.com/tezos/tezos

soon you’ll get into trouble, but I won’t spoil your peaceful moment…

What do you mean?
My pi3 will stuck?

Congrats @demo! It took a while but we made it :smiley:

Congrats gentleman!!! I’m taking a break from boring day job next week and plan to spend some quality time getting my Rpi3 going as well.

A big thanks to @maxtez-raspbaker !

And a question.
I run my node as:
./tezos-node run --rpc-addr localhost &> /dev/null
then I press the buttons CTRL+Z and execute the command:
bg
So I put my node in the backgroud, and I can exit from the ssh session I am.

The question is, whenever I want to stop tezosnode, I dont want to kill -9 the process of my node, because it throws a coredump in /var/lib/systemd/coredump/

Is it possible to smoothly kill the process with an rpc command by typing “./tezos-client kill something” ???

and another.
In the documentation it writes

To know if you staked, just run:

./alphanet.sh baker log
./alphanet.sh endorser log

How do we execute this by using ./tezos-client command?

@demo, I am not aware of a built-in option to switch off the node, if there is one, please let me know…

as far as I understand “baker log” and “endorser log” are designed within the alphanet.sh script. I think they translate in a simple form a command option that is part of the tezos-client service, which one? find out typing: ./tezos-client --help and also ./tezos-client man, messy stuff…
maybe alternatively you can run the tezos-client service redirecting the output from the screen to a file and then look into the file from time to time, if you have baked it will show up.