Solar baking system needed

Two inventions come to mind, @Chainomatic the Coolgardie Safe and the Zeer Pot see:
Low Tech Refrigeration
Both work on the simple principle of evaporative cooling. If you’ve ever draped a wet towel over yourself on a stinking hot day, you’ll know how well evaporation can work. It’s like having your own personal air-conditioner. The Coolgardie Safe and Zeer Pot both work in pretty much the same way and all you need to power them is a light breeze.

From geeks3d

No heatsink:
raspberry-pi-3-thermal-imaging-sysbench-geexlab

With heatsink:
raspberry-pi-2-thermal-imaging-sysbench-geexlab

I did a stress test on my Pi with a heatsink and never got above temp=48.9’C

sys bench --test=cpu --cpu-max-prime=1000000 --num-threads=4 run

It really is a nice machine.

Thanks for serendipitously suggesting the raspberry pi, now we have an oven and a pi. All that’s needed is some yeast. It’s begging for a sticker,a logo. @jonas how about the foundation offering for the winning design a prize of a tzOven loaded with the minimum tokens ready to plug in at home (without the solar bits) .

Nice! I can commit to a Tezos.community sticker :slight_smile: but we’ll need someone from the foundation to chime in on real prizes.

Exactly, the seed is here for someone from the foundation to pick up.
Watch this space.

@moonbaker question would this be a problem for you?
5.5mm/2.1mm barrel DC-jack (internal positive) Voltage 12V ± 5% @ 3A consuming 5 to 6 Watts.

I’m asking for future proofing your setup as well as anyone who is also a maker.

Also do you have real world specs on your ISP connection, like up/down speed?
Do they issue a static IP address or dynamic?
Are they IPv6 compliant?

I use Optus, one of the majors in Oz. Here is their tech support
Optus
I’m mulling over a dedicated 4g modem dongle PiAnyWhere bloody expensive.

The DC-jack looks easy.
The mSATA drive is on the way and I have the USB connector. I’ve also ordered a tower to hold the components. This is very steam- punk.

That PiAnyWhere Hat is so industrial.

shot_2017-08-04_08-21-06

I have inquired about the pinouts on it, checking if it would work on any maker standard serial connection board, it should, although mounting could be an issue.

I’m still having problems getting some of the dependencies on the Arm Cortex processor.
I’m cross-compiling now which I should have started with.

On to the tzOven manual, I’m not working on it as much as the steps are long and I’m finding that it makes more sense to move to an integrated Tezos supported OS for the Pi with the goal being:

Just download and burn to start your own Tezos node.

This is what you were thinking all along @moonbaker

I definitely see the appeal more and more of having a maker board, and with “mandatory” staking I see a real need. In fact this embraces the spatial distribution model so well that even if big brother did away with the internet we could still do business, albeit with difficulty at first.

Tezos needs to be decentralized geographically, politically, etc.
Inexpensive to obtain and operate hardware fits in nicely.

Tezos allegiance is after all nodes.

Wow, thanks @Chainomatic , just a WiFi dongle will do the job, $50ish. Anyway most users will have domestic power and sit it on a shelf.
So about $150 for an equipped Raspberry Pi tzOven ready to load with credentials and a deposit of xtzs. And you can put it in your pocket.
github for the download?
I’d like to offer one of these for a logo/badge; the kitchen vibe is irresistible. I don’t mind paying for it and get a design that will look great projected on the white sails of the Sydney Opera House. Up in lights in Times Square!

If we have a competiton, Ill throw in 5 t-shirts with the new logo.

Aprons, @Jonas aprons

T shirt design competition would be awesome

I miss read this, I thought you bought it already.
Free advice, do not buy it, way too specific, difficult to upgrade.

To clarify: Currently I am using a Huawei Cat 4 mobile hotspot it has an external antenna.
For the Raspberry Pi to use it i have in hand an AusPi WiFi adaptor that uses one of the USB plugs.

The AusPi Technologies WiFi Adapter was developed especially for the Raspberry Pi. The drivers ship standard with all Raspberry Pi operating systems, and the external antenna gives this WiFi Adapter superior range compared with the micro adapters. It has 802.11 b/g/n support.

@Chainomatic are you cool about me offering a basic, unloaded tzOven as a prize for a badge/icon competition? You might win it yourself.

You want to give away a tzOven Pi @moonbaker? Of course, I’m cool with that. Let me know how I can help.

The reason I asked about your internet connection was to make sure your provider will work, Tezos does not need a lot of power but will require a solid/fast internet connection.

That Wireless adaptor should work on any computer, not just Pi which is great.

I have an offer for you, I’m expecting to get some UDOO X86 maker boards in next month. I would like to send you one gratis, your enthusiasm is contagious.

You would just need power which I mentioned before:
5.5mm/2.1mm barrel DC-jack (internal positive) Voltage 12V ± 5% @ 3A consuming 5 to 6 Watts.

The UDOO will be nice as it will run anything a standard PC can, thus future proofing your work.

Power
The solar controller/regulator I have operating can handle 30amps = 360watts @12volts. Cloudy windless days cause a potential problem. I can always put the Pi (or my new UDOO - thanks heaps @Chainomatic ) in my pocket and leave it with a friend in Mullumbimby on the grid. And, bottom line, I have a 3700w 240v generator for backup and outside work.

@Jonas for your thoughts…

tzOven badge competition
I’m thinking aloud here.
The prize is a themed t-shirt/apron and a cased Raspberry Pi fitted with an mSATA drive, a WiFi antenna and loaded with an SD boot. Ready for a deposit of currency.

The creator of the winning badge donates copyright to the community. Any royalties or future payments are for the benefit of the community.
Voting by likes
Incorporate community logo.
Deadline 30th October
etc.
I will set up a separate topic for this.

@Chainomatic as I live in Australia all of the components for the Pi are imported it’s a bit silly for me to source them here and send them back. And the prices here are also silly. Could you put the bits together and invoice me?

Yes - let me know specifically what components.

A Raspberry Pi 3 with inbuilt WiFi and Bluetooth (basic kit)
A microSD Card with software preinstalled
A mSATA drive in a USB case
A WiFi antenna
A Power Supply
A Raspberry Pi Case
A 1.8m HDMI Cable to connect to your TV or Monitor.
$150ish

I wonder how many potential early adopters were ‘turned-off’ to the concept of blockchains due to the difficulty of mining and secure storage? Personally, I was often discouraged and did very little mining though it didn’t hold me back from thousands of hours of reading, watching videos and online courses and participating.

Thanks for putting this together. It really lowers the barrier to entry and it is encouraging to wider adoption.

If I understand, it seems that voting and hosting a node for the network are two different things. Is it possible to combine both of these into the same box? That is, I’ve powered up my node but every once in a while it sends me a notification that ‘if you want 5%, you better vote’ on some specified date.

Hello @zep,

It can be discouraging, especially Proof-of-Work mining, which turned into an arms race really quick, cheaper power + faster machines = win.

Tezos is very different, starting off in Proof-of-Stake consensus mechanism.

Tezos Staking & Validation

1. Control X number of Tezzies.
  2. Pledge (lockup no access) those Tezzies to the staking process for a given time period, called a cycle.
  3. Be internet accessible 24/7/cycle to enable Tezos blockchain, minimal computational power needed, and possibly running smart contract calculations, requiring more computational power.

Once you Stake your Tezzies you are eligible to vote and will receive additional Tezzies, around 5%, through a non-dilutive inflationary policy.

Did this help?