Alphanet not syncing

Hi all - just installed tezos on 2 devices and neither of them is syncing (still at genesis block). I had this problem in the past and when I reinstalled Linux, suddenly it worked again. One of the devices is running for more than a day. When I run

#sudo ./ client network stat

==> it gives a different result between the 2 devices.

Anyone has an idea on how to kickstart the alphanet?

Quoting @maxtez-raspbaker:
“if you have absolutely zero connections “Too few connections (0)” after several hours, I would kill the “tezos-node” process then delete everything in the folders “.tezos-node/store” and “.tezos-node/context” and restart “tezos-node”. There is probably a better/safer/more elegant way around it but this extreme measure usually works!”

==> This did the trick indeed!
Now I’m partially synced on RP3. Still need to reboot once in a while when it stops syncing. Already at mid december :slight_smile:

I had to wait about one hour before it started syncing.

Some additional info:

If all goes well, after running ./ start , the node should start syncing after a few minutes. It is possible, however, the network does not find any peer nodes to connect to. In this case, you can bootstrap the alphanet by feeding it peers manually as also described under ( For the alphanet, a list with peers can be found on The resulting command could be

./ start –peer= --peer= etc.

Maybe we can get some resources to make an official Raspberry Pi Tezos node image now the Foundation drama is over.

yes that would be a good idea, perhaps someone could push forward a TBF project on
Another interesting thing would be to try Docker CE on RPI3. CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu they all support Docker CE on Arm processors.

As soon as I get few missing pieces for my third RPI3 (Les Triplettes de Belleville), before going through the usual setup, I will experiment a bit to see if there is an easy way to create a simple OS+Tezos-node image.

But my priority would be to make some changes to the notes posted some time ago and add new info on the node configuration with RPI3 before the mainnet goes live

Concerning the Docker CE on RPI3, I used Bhodi Linux which is a stripped down version based on Ubuntu on an older mini laptop and seems to work well.

oh boy there are so many linux distros, ok after a quick search I think Bhodi linux does not support Arm processors (no good for RPI3).
Perhaps you may want to try Ubuntu Core (stripped down Ubuntu version for IoT). It does support Arm and Docker can be installed on it. I am not sure if Docker CE would work as well, but it should. Nothing in the documentation here below suggests otherwise:

Sorry, I wrote that post right after waking up. Thinking a little more clearly now, I remember NavCoin, which is a fork of Bitcoin, but somehow switched to proof of stake (PoS) has a Raspberry Pi 3 image. I had that running on my RPI3, purchased some coins and was staking for a few days before I got distracted by something else. I believe it ran a headless OS with a web server because I had to connect to it from another pc using a browser. I really like how easy it was to setup and use. I had it running in less than an hour. I have no idea how difficult a project like this would be for Tezos but I was impressed by the simplicity of it. They even have NavPi branded RPI3 ( with the image installed that you can purchase from their store. I think this is an excellent low cost way to push decentralization. Maybe Tezos is not ready for this yet but seems like a good idea in theory.

thanks for the info about the navcoin RPI3 box, some steps involving a manual configuration cannot be avoided but I got some ideas from there. Let’s see in few days if I can build up a bare bone image(OS+Tezos) with minimal user interaction. Even if I cannot come up with a good solution I am sure that sooner or later someone else will jump into this and find a super-easy way to setup a Tezos node on RPI3. I don’t see any reason why it cannot be done.

You are welcome. Unfortunately I don’t have the tech skills to assist much other than try and figure out what other projects are doing. PIVX is another privacy coin using PoS. I kept getting PIVX and NAVcoin mixed up but they are actually very similar. PIVX has master nodes along with regular nodes that provide blockchain consensus. They actually have a Raspberry Pi master node setup. You have to stake/own 50,000 PIVX to be a master node which also gets you voting rights.

no problem, I am learning along the way which is a good thing. I see all these projects (PIVX NAVcoin) they all ask a certain level of manual setup. I am wondering how much is too much or how little is too little. For example I can probably setup an image where the user literally does nothing, just power up the RPI3 and the Tezos node will start automatically. But is it a good idea? I mean if something happen (and something will happen) the user will be clueless. For someone that is serious about running a self-delegate node perhaps a little background knowledge would be useful, just wondering…

As you suggest, to start, I think a more manual setup would be best. Since 10,000 XTZ is needed to be your own delegate I don’t see too many people wanting to do this at the beginning. I can’t confirm this but it seems logical the 10K roll is probably in place to keep Tezos somewhat centralized until the security is hardened. I can see the work you are doing now being used in a more automated RPi3 setup in the future. Hopefully one funded by the Foundation. What I’m hearing now is basically Tezos holders should delegate their Tezzies to a delegation service for security reasons unless they have technical skills to do it themselves. The security issue will have to be addressed and made simple so everyone can stake otherwise we’ll need to figure out how to compete against Ripple. PIVX is a good example of how Tezos could balance master nodes (delegation services) and regular nodes. I listened to one of Charles Hoskinson’s hundreds of talks recently (the guy is everywhere) on how he sees Cardano having 50 or so master nodes (delegation services) in the near future. So maybe just a really easy to follow write up of how to compile a Tezos node on RPi3 that could eventually be converted to a RPi3 image project with auto/minimal configuration/updates funded by the Foundation. I can help with editing the write up if you go this path.